All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast. ~John Gunther

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

creamy purple potato soup

So.... I had a lot of potatoes. and I decided I would make potato soup. I have no idea how to make potato soup, but, as I said to Susan - if I don't like it and it tastes like watery mashed potatoes - I'll just eat something from a can.

It came out ok though!

I covered the bottom of a soup pot generously with olive oil. I put the heat on low and diced an onion and put that in there with it.

Then I washed about six potatoes (I still don't have a peeler) and realized that they were purple potatoes! I cut each potato into cubes and threw them in with the onions and the oil. I stieed that and let it sort of fry for a minute or two.

Then I added one chicken bullion cube and 6 cups of water, and I covered it and let it go on a medium bowl for about 1/2 hour or 45 minutes. Then I added a stick of butter and blended it with the immersion blender. It was all purple-y and little pieces of potato skin and kinda pretty. It tasted a little salty though, so I added half of one of those small cartons of heavy cream that Susan brought back for me from trader joe's.

Then I stirred... and voila! creamy creamy good! (probably 1/2 a stick of butter would have been plenty - but who's counting?)

No comments: