All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast. ~John Gunther

Sunday, October 25, 2009

vegetable soup made with water and tomatillos

I have made this soup twice now, so I am starting to feel like a real expert.

We are getting lots of great vegetables from the Stone Soup Farm CSA, and the regular distribution ended last week. One of the things we got was tomatillos, which like like little green tomatoes wrapped in corn husks.

When I don't know what to do and it's fall, I make soup. Mark Bittman explained to me in How to Cook Everything that it is okay to make soup with water instead of stock, so I did. Here's the story:

dice an onion, a giant carrot, a celery stock. dump in soup pot with olive oil.
Cook on low while you cut potatoes into chunks (I also added rutabaga in the second time I made this soup.) add the potatoes (Mark B. calls these hard vegetables). then you add the tomatillos - take the husks off, wash, and then chop. I added about 1.5 cups of tomatillos and also a can of tomatoes.

Salt and Pepper

Then add a parmesan rind (optional, but recommended.) I also added marjoram and thyme.

Then add about 6-8 cans of water (I use the tomato can to get all the juices.)

while it comes to a simmer, chop a bunch of chard or kale, 3 or 4 green or red peppers, and a bunch of parsley, if you have it. Once the water bubbles, add those things (Mark B. terms these soft vegetables) and 2 bay leaves.

Soup the first time:


Soup the second time:

Now let it cook. The longer the better. and it will be even better the next day.

Serve it with crusty bread and olive oil for dipping the bread into and also with parmesan for on top of the soup.

(more second time):



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

During our AmeriCorps year, my friend Will and I made this random concoction we called "Fire Soup." It consisted of canned beans, ramen noodles (no spice packet though)spices that were in our cabinet, hot sauce, canned corn, other random stuff that we had around the house, AND WATER. It was almost delicious and a really fun experience. The soup was entirely vegan.

Anyway I have a can of tomatillos that's been hanging around forever. Maybe I will make this soup! Yay.

Chloe said...

Sarah's serve it with suggestions are essential for raising the experience up a notch!

DS said...

wow, that looks soooo good. and stone soup used to be one of my favorite books growing up :) i gotta come over YOUR place for dinner!