All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast. ~John Gunther

Sunday, April 6, 2008

step up succotash

when I was in high school, one of my friends prepared a dish called 'white trash succotash' it consisted of corn, lima beans, salt, and butter and - despite its offensive name - was ridiculously tasty considering the few ingredients. she simply sauteed the corn and lima beans in butter, sprinkled salt over the whole mess, and scooped it out to eat. tonight I wanted something easy, quick, and not terrible for me. what I came up with is what I'm calling Step Up Succotash, since it's a step up from the succotash I first knew and is also a step up from the days where calling things white trash was acceptable.

  • 1 pepper, chopped into small squares
  • 1 onion or 2 small scallions, which is what I had lying around
  • 1 can of corn
  • 1/2 avocado
saute the onion/scallions in oil or butter until they start to get that nice smell. toss the pepper in and saute, followed shortly by the corn. add a pinch of salt and mix every so often, making sure nothing is burning. after about ten minutes, take it out of the pan. I had some brown rice cooking, so I put it on some of that. then chop half an avocado into the bowl and mix everything up. add salt to taste.

it's pretty. also, it was clean-tasting and fresh. I think this is one of those recipes that is going to have variations upon variations. next time I might try lima beans as well. the point for me was not to have something mind-boggling delicious, but something that tasted like the food it was. I feel like there are endless possibilities. I kind of want to look up different succotash recipes and see how they can be revamped.

in other news, I had incredible veggie sushi this weekend. if you're ever in brooklyn and find yourself in park slope, go to mura. stat.

No comments: