All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast. ~John Gunther

Thursday, May 1, 2008

food thoughts with sarah emily

At Betsy's suggestion, we will be doing some more q&a (see - if you comment, we will pay attention!) Below are some questions of sarah emily regarding food.


1: What is your favorite meal from when you were a kid?

my dad made killer nachos. the kind of nachos that were entree quality, not something that you eat up quickly to prevent passing out before the "real" meal arrived. the secret was his guacamole. to this day, I have never had guacamole as good as what my father can make.

2: Is there anything that you will order in restaurants but not make at home, or the other way around?

I will not make myself a sandwich. ever. in fact, it's one of the deciding factors in whether or not I go out to eat: if I'm in the mood for a sandwich, I'll be ordering it.* on the other side of the question, I cannot order spaghetti from restaurants - or other kinds of long, thin, white pastas. it goes back to seeing big trays of plain pasta in college dining halls. there was something about that sight that scarred me.

*I include "waking gina marie up and asking her to make breakfast sandwiches" in my definition of ordering a sandwich.

3: Are there foods (other than garlic, that's too easy for you) to which you attribute magical powers? If not, what food do you wish had magical powers, and what would those powers be?

garlic is totes magical. a veritable super food. I hate that I can't pick that. but moving on: I would like someone to discover a food that has the ability to increase concentration. I could really use that. especially after lunch. I would love to lunch on some amazing food - like pickles! - and then go back to work with intensified focus rather than intensified spring fever.

4: Is there any food that you eat that you are ashamed of?

no, but I definitely am one of those people that can eat the same food for several days in a row with no complaint. I'm a bit ashamed of that. the fact that I can happily live off of granola or yogurt or literally only eat nuts and berries for every meal is a bit embarrassing. apple sauce. there was a period that I only wanted to eat apple sauce and I was really disappointed at all of these perfectly good foods because they weren't apple sauce. that's kind of awkward.

5: What three food items do you need for a good summer road trip (this can include a picnic)?

hm. now I'm just thinking about granola. look what you've done to me. I'll take my inspiration from an actual summer road trip that sarah elisabeth and I took last year. we packed a freshly baked baguette, a tub of Bear Pond Farm pesto, and I'd like to toss in fresh blueberries. add some sun, an unexpected trip to a yard sale, and skinny dipping and you've got yourself a perfect day.

No comments: