All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast. ~John Gunther

Monday, May 12, 2008

lilac sunday

one of boston's not-so-hidden treasures is the arnold arboretum. it is 265 acres of botanica located right in the city. I would like to someday visit the arboretum every day for a single year, because I am pretty certain that I would still not see everything that there is to be seen at the end of those 365 visits. if you find yourself in boston with nothing to do - or wish to blow off your already scheduled plans - I highly recommend that you trot over to jamaica plain and go exploring.

each year, the arboretum hosts Lilac Sunday. there are several types of lilacs in the arboretum (see for yourself here) and you can go on a tour of the flowers or you can buy treats from the vendors and enjoy morris dancers, musicians, and the weather. sarah elisabeth and I chose to have a picnic.

now, those of you who read the answers to our leisurely quiz know that sarah elisabeth and I would pack pretty much the exact same thing on a picnic/road trip. lilac sunday was an opportunity to indulge. we packed pesto, a fresh baguette, fruit (pears), lemonade, tomato, cucumber, swiss cheese, salami, and cookies. it was amazing.


just to be clear, the pesto should be enjoyed liberally. here's a photo taken later in the picnic process. you can see a) sarah elisabeth's tasty treat, and b) we go through a lot of pesto. you should too:

amazing! pesto makes everything better! also, we sat next to mormons! lilac sunday was delicious and educational.

1 comment:

EmilyD said...

It is killing me -- killing me! -- that you guys are having picnics in the Arnold Arboretum on Lilac Sunday and I am far away and can't partake!