All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast. ~John Gunther

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

let's talk about vegan cheese

I have only ever had one vegan cheese product that I liked. I like the "Grated Vegan Topping" in the purple salt-shaker sized container. the other few I have tried are all real gross or weird or just not worth it.

I stopped eating most dairy products because they made me congested and I think my body has to work too hard to process them. Cutting down on cheese has been good for my congestion, weight fluctuation, amount of energy, and avoiding processed foods (lots of dairy products, weirdly). I really miss cheese though.

Ironically, parm is probably one of the more innocuous cheese products - hard cheese are usually minimally problematic for the lactose intolerant, you don't eat as much of it as, oh, cream cheese on a bagel, or giant blocks of cheddar in the woods, and it has a lot of bacterial breakdown goodness. It's weird then that it is the only thing that I have found an acceptable (I wouldn't make risotto with it) substitute for.

Does anyone have any recommendations for cheese substitutes? or suggestions for what I should eat when I'm splurging? (I've been eating a lot of mint chocolate chip ice cream. oops.)

1 comment:

Heather said...

Ah! The most amazing vegan cheese is the cashew cheddar used at the Real Food Daily restaurants. Unfortunately for some, the restaurants are in LA, but fortunately there's a cookbook, and even more fortunately someone posted a recipe here: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/000685.html . I have usually eaten this cheese in nacho form, which is incredible. I don't even like dairyful nachos, but these dairy free ones –– omg, I have to stop writing this before the nacho craving takes over completely. Damn, too late.