All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast. ~John Gunther

Monday, October 8, 2007

pasta sauce with red wine

Today I made some rotini and I made some sauce with whatever was left in the fridge. It came out pretty good!

some olive oil in a saute pan
1 very pungent yellow onion (they were crying in the dining room), coarsely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
I put that on low heat, onions first, then garlic.

EDIT: Then I added a big handful of pine nuts. This is key!!!

Then I chopped a little red pepper that I had from the farmshare (the garlic is from the farmshare too) and dropped that in.

Next I chopped up some farmshare kale that had been sitting in the fridge for awhile and put that in. Then I put the water in.

Then I realized that spices are good, and I added salt, pepper, oregano and garlic powder.

Then I went into Susan's cupbard and got a can of no-salt-added diced tomatoes and put that in too. At this point we are on medium heat.

once the pasta was in the boiling water, I took the $4.99 bottle of chianti from Trader Joe's that we were drinking and added a whole bunch to the sauce. Then I turned the heat up to medium high so that it would bubble and burn off the alcohol, drank some more wine, and drained the pasta (which was not quite al dente, but turned out fine).

once the sauce had bubbled viciously for a few minutes I turned it down to a simmer and added just a little more oil and let it thicken for a few minutes. Then I put the rotini in a white bowl and poured the sauce on top and stirred. It was good!

We followed it with mint chocolate chip ice cream (excellent) and Benedictine Liqueur (weird).

1 comment:

sarah emily said...

I can't believe I missed the benedictine! it's been over a year and I've been wondering what monks taste like.